Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yesterday I finished up my required 40 hours. I could sign off the Phase I and II requirements if I choose, but I still have a few other things to do. I also worked thru some aerobatics. Earlier I had done aileron rolls, which require little except raising the nose and then applying aileron (and rudder to center the ball) to roll the plane all the way around. As the plane rolls about the longitudional axis, the nose falls. To lessen this effect, I go to about .5 G as the airplane starts into the inverted portion of the roll.

Loops, Cuban Eights, Barrel Rolls, the Split S and Immelman Turns are more fun. For several flights I explored the vertical capability going up and down, but I never did a good vertical figure. Yesterday I finally put it all together and did some good loops and other figures by diving to 200 mph, pulling up wings level at about 3 G until the airspeed died away, going over the top inverted with about 85 mph. For loops, it was easy to just continue down the other side increasing backstick pressure to create a little over 2 G as the plane accelerated to about 180 mph. The whole thing happens fairly quickly. I was surprised at how well behaved the plane was thru the whole thing. It seems to like to do this stuff and does it without straining.

No comments: